YNN/News Assistant/ Albany, NY
JOB TITLE: News Assistant
COMPANY: YNN Albany
LOCATION: Albany, NY
TO APPLY: www.timewarnercable.com/careers, Requisition # 133762BR
Responsible for going out in the field to shoot video and sound bites, to interview and obtain information in order to accurately and thoroughly report a story, and assist the reporters. News Assistants are also responsible for writing and editing stories that are shot in the field. Duties may also include wheel producing, control room producing, and assignment desk responsibilities on a fill in basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Shoots appropriate video and sound bites
• Checks equipment and notify ENG of equipment problems
• Conducts interviews
• Gathers information
• Write and edit VOSOT’s
• Determines best way to shoot the story
• Requires traveling to story location
• Driver's License required
• Assists the news truck
• Assists reporters
• Relays information in the field back to the station
• Coordinates with assignment desk and producer
• Logs in information and enters information into computer
• Fill in at the Assignment Desk
• Trains in the field
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Trained to control room produce and wheel produce
• Fill in when needed (full or partial days)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred; major in journalism or communication preferred.
• 1-2 experience in news gathering or related field.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong interpersonal and good organizational skills.
• Strong computer skills and ability to work with common office software systems.
• Ability to use standard office equipment, including computers, fax machines, copiers, etc.
• Solid news judgment, with knowledge of current local news and newsmakers a plus.
• Ability to make quick decisions, multi-task, and work effectively and efficiently under pressure and deadlines.
• Must be able to use and have knowledge of common television newsroom computer systems and software, with ability to learn new software systems, including non-linear editing systems.
• Thorough knowledge of operational and office policies and procedures.
• Ability to work under pressure
• Attention to detail
• Communication/Interpersonal skills
• Creative thinking skills
• Current news events
• Editorial skills
• Electronic newsroom system
• Internet Knowledge
• Legal issues as they relate to news coverage
• News judgment
• News systems: library, archives, editing, desk
• News reporting
• Organization skills
• PC knowledge (MS Office)
• Presentation skills
• Problem Solving/Decision making
• Public Relations
• Time management skills
If you have any questions please contact Shasta Gomez, HR Recruiter, at Shasta.email@example.com .
Job No. 1839